Saturday, January 30, 2010

"Season of Life: a football star, a boy, a journey to manhood"

Season of Life: a football star, a boy, a journey to manhood"
This book was recommended to my husband by a close friend. Our friend said every guy should read the book. Of course, being an avid reader, I picked up a copy. I could not put down this wonderful true story.
About 25 years after Jeffrey Marks was a ball boy for the Baltimore Colts, and idolized Joe Ehrmann one of the great players, their paths cross again, as Jeffrey, a writer, follows a season of Joe coaching a group of high school boys. Jeffrey quickly realizes that he will learn a lot more about life on this personal and professional journey. At first as I read, I thought this should be a mandatory read for every father, coach and man. I continued to read and realized this is a must read for any woman who knows any man also. The book describes the myths of masculinity and how many men are raised with the wrong definition. Masculinity should be defined in how we relate to others. One of the most powerful moments from the book is an exchange with a mom after a big game. She comes up to the coaches and is very excited. She asks the coaches how successful they thought the boys were going to be. "I have no idea" Won't know for twenty years". "Huh?" "I won't really know how successful there gonna be till they come back to visit in twenty years. Then I'll be able to see what kind of husbands they are. I'll be able to see what kind of fathers they are. I'll see what they're doing in the community". This is a must own and read. I guarantee you will thank me for the recommendation.
"Season of Life: a football star, a boy, a journey to manhood" is a great gift for every coach, teacher and man in your life. (Women will love it too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment